Youth Farm Stands
- Michigan Youth Farm Stand Project Description (PDF)
- 2009 Michigan Youth Farm Stand Toolkit (PDF) - requires a long download time, so please be patient.
- Newsletter Archive
Curriculum and Resources
- Cornell Garden Based Learning: Inspiring, research-based gardening resources and professional development to support engaging, empowering, and relevant learning experiences for children, youth, adults, and communities.
- Urban School Gardens, a presentation by Anne Scott at the Michigan Family Farms Conference on January 15, 2011.
- Resource and Lesson Reviews by the Michigan Nutrition Network and C.S. Mott Group is a detailed data base of resources and lessons with reviews that are directly related to the youth farm stand project and nutrition education for children.
- Nutrition Education Resource by the Dairy Council of California is a list of suggested books for children with nutrition themes.
- Getting Started: A Guide for Creating School Gardens as Outdoor Classrooms is designed and published by the Center for Ecoliteracy in collaboration with Life Lab Science Program, a national leader in garden-based education.
- REAL School Gardens is a grassroots gardening program that helps children by supporting elementary school communities as they design, install and sustain outdoor classrooms (gardens).
- School Garden Wizard has been created for America's K-12 school community through a partnership between the United States Botanic Garden and Chicago Botanic Garden offers guides for proposing a school garden to how to keep the garden growing.
- California School Gargen Network provides over one hundred garden-based lessons to create, expand, and sustain garden-based learning experiences and many more!
- The Learning Garden is one of the country’s largest and most successful school gardens and provides a model example of how school gardens can transform the lives of students and teachers and the environment of their community.
Gardening & Farming
- National Gardening Association: Kids Gardening (www.gardeningwithkids.org)
- Garden Mosaics (www.gardenmosaics.cornell.edu)
- National Gardening Association (NGA) - Nonprofit provider of plant-based education aims to promote home, school, and community gardening.
- National Children's Gardening Association (NCGA)- Kids gardening explores gardening resources for family, teachers and beginner or experienced gardeners.
- American Community Gardening Association (ACGA)- Nonprofit membership organization of professionals, volunteers and supporters of community greening in urban and rural communities that recognizes that community gardening improves people’s quality of life in a variety of ways.
Funding & Grants
- 2008–09 Youth Gardening and Food Projects Funding Scan (PDF) Scan data base of potential resources for funding youth agriculture and school gardening projects.
- Funding Announcements
- National Gardening Association school garden grants. The NGA's Kid Gardening website allows one to not only search for grants but provides tips to consider when hunting for grant fundings and a neat grant brainstorming worksheet!
Did you find the resource you need? Do you have a suggestion of resources you’d like to find here? Please let us know! (scottann @ msu.edu)
C.S. Mott Group for Sustainable Food Systems
Michigan State University
303 Natural Resources Building
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1222
Contact: Anne Scott, Youth Community Food Outreach Specialist
Email: scottann @ msu.edu